lundi 24 décembre 2007

Capello has been given the task of leading England to glory


New England manager Fabio Capello spoke Saturday of his joy at being presented with the greatest challenge of his career.

Capello is one of the most successful coaches in the modern era, having guided three Italian teams to the Serie A title - although the two titles he won with Juventus were later rescinded due to match-fixing - as well as leading Real Madrid to two La Liga crowns in the two seasons he spent in Spain, a decade apart.

Now he has been given the task of leading England to glory following the disastrous Steve McClaren tenure in which the country failed to qualify for Euro 2008.

"I've always been attracted by great challenges and I hope to end my career on a high," the 61-year-old told Rai television.

"The challenge that awaits me is more difficult than the others I've had but also one in which I have more preparation time.

"It's already time to start working. I want to do well and succeed. To succeed on the English bench would be the cherry on the cake for my career.

"It would be wonderful to go out on a high after many years working in football. I never thought I would one day coach England."

Capello was believed to be in the running for the job seven years ago before the English FA opted for Sven-Goran Eriksson.

"I came close once before but it didn't happen. This time it's become a reality," he said.

"I'm going to come up against a different way of working in a country where football is like a religion. Everyone in England is asking why the national team is not winning."

Former Chelsea and Portugal boss Jose Mourinho was the early favourtie for the job but when he ruled himself out of the running, all eyes turned to Capello.

His last job ended in June when he was fired by Real Madrid despite guiding them to their first title in four seasons.

Since then he had been working as a football commentator for Rai.

He has previously coached AC Milan, where he won four titles and the Champions League in six seasons, Roma and Juventus.

Aucun commentaire: